Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hello Dolly

Some had the pampering of their grandmothers, some had the laps of their mom's, some sucked quietly onto their thumbs, For my sense of security as a child, I had a Barbie. And I still have the doll. She ate with me, slept with me, played with me and I dragged her everywhere by her hair. I felt safe by taking her along.

It's not incredible - people attach meaning to inanimate objects - dolls, watches, mufflers, a dried flower - though just another thing to most - it can be the blanket of security that gives a sense of belonging to a few - including me.

Then I grew up and clinged to people and things closest to my heart. When people my age were moving on, leaving their homes, cities even countries to study or to work – I couldn’t move. I couldn’t think to move. I still cant. And that need for security has forever been burning in me, in its powerful and protective yet different forms. We downplay our deepest need to be valued and cherished that makes us vulnerable yet so strong.

Home-ly yours
Faded Glory

3 comments:

  1. I don't know about you,but I have seen women cling to something when they shouldn't have; just to feel secure in their relationship and instead they throttle the very life out of it. Then I have seen women simply give in when there was need to cling to the relationship as a life support and see their men cross the deepest ravine or the highest mountain.
    And you never move on from something you always cherished and valued......sweet or bitter memories this is what life is made up of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elite_Hat: Have learnt to overcome insecurities and learning that moving away from the comfort zone can be a humbling experience. And as life shall have it, exactly one year from the post, I moved away from my home, city and the country.

    P.S. Do I know you? (coming from the sheer timing of your comment)

    ReplyDelete