Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Its good to be bad!

Just the other day, i got late and made my cab driver wait for 5 minutes. Thats not too long a wait for anyone and i usually do not get late. Infact he himself was late as well. However, i was on the receiving end for making everyone wait. At the same time the other cab mates who have nakhras and also get late, but they are never at the receiving end if they get late. I naturally felt bad at this bias.

My biggest problem is that i have difficulty in saying 'No' to things and people. I find myself doing things for people readily and willingly. I find myself being nice and friendly to most people. But at certain points of time - one should say No, one should be curt, if not some people will take you for granted, consciously or unconsciously.

Suddenly Machiavelli's Prince makes sense to me. Machiavelli iterated - If a prince is overly generous to his subjects, he will lose appreciation and will only cause greed for more. He further asserts that it would be best to be both loved and feared.

Being Miss-Goody-Two-Shoes isnt always the best thing to do, there are people who will run you down, would undermine you and not appreciate you. Your nice, easy going friendly demeanor makes other people take you for granted. Its good to be bad at times! Let people fear you, and you wont be ever taken for granted.

I seriously need to adopt Machiavellian way of maintaining public relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment