Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cogito, ergo sum

There are somethings that each of us does best. And one of the few things that i do best is thinking. I think a lot, analyze, rationalize almost everything and end up doing a worst case analysis of any situation by bombarding myself with hypothetical 'What-If' questions. Some people may call it unnecessary thinking.

Thinking pessimistically has its own pluses. I guess, being a defensive pessimist makes much more sense than being an optimistic. Using the power of pessimistic approach, i feel i will be closer to personal goals and not be caught unaware when a difficulty comes my way. I would have already thought about it and would be prepared better. So, my kind of negative thinking only prepares me for the worst. Im not overconfident, well aware of my weaknesses and strenths and only drives me towards success.

Its like playing driving simulator within the playground of the head. I know how better i will negotiate the speedbreakers, sharp turns, dead ends as compared to the driver who is an optimist and only sees a clear smooth road ahead. An optimist will only land flat on his face when faced with adversity cause he never thought bad could come his way.

Friends have often told me to look at the brighter side of things and not to think too much and think negatively. But im happy to take my time do my thinking and check the ground im walking on for mines rather than being optimistic and not think about the ground having mines and ending up blowing myself.

Doesnt make sense to a lot of people. But Pessimistic approach is my survival strategy!! And my blood type is 'Very Negative'.

Cogito, ergo sum!! I think, therefore I am.

4 comments:

  1. What you said seems true but not in its entirity. If you always keep fearing about the steep curve you will never cross 2nd gear. There's thrill to driving fast but being 'defensive pessimist' as you call it you would never be able to enjoy it. I am not saying you should live life on the edge but there are times when you need to come out of your shell even if it means taking a little risk.

    'Pessimistic approach is my survival strategy' Here you have said it correctly - survival is the word; you are surviving not living.

    From what I know of you I think the post is too negative for you and 'defensive pessimist' is not the word for you. Its just one part you. Give the other part a chance. Remember balance is the key and you know for sure how to balance things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Unknown Writer
    Fear is different from being cautious and being watchful.

    You wouldnt want to know the musings of the eternally optimistic hyperactive excited kid in me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oho.. itna pessimistic post..take a break coz i dont feel being pessimistic is not being good..and its just being on safe side while doing anything..
    you and everybody whu knows you very well knows the positive approach and fun element tht u carry with ya...so cheer up.. and need not defend your approach in living life.. Its your life after all..!!

    and yea.. regarding tht negative element.. dont worry even my blood group is B 'NEGATIVE'.. so negativity mere mein bhi koot koot ke bhari hui hai :P

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sukh
    The post isnt pessimistic, its about the optimistic side of being pessimistic :D

    ReplyDelete