Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dancing Queen

Its been quite some time, i have been watching a show called 'So you think you can dance' and buoy oh buoy what a show it is. The other indian dance shows are nothing compared to it with all due respect to the dancing divas of India. Its a different genre altogether. And these dance shows on TV have been knocking on certain doors of my life that were jammed and jarred for some reason or the other and beckoning me.

I sometimes roam around the house with music playing in the background on TV or the radio, moving and swinging weirdly inventing my own dance steps. I sometimes dance with my towel to the bathroom with a toothbrush as my prop. And sometimes, im dancing in the kitchen with the spatula while the milk boils or the dal gets cooked and i have to oversee it. And i sometimes do a seat-dance, when im at work or travelling in the car and listening to a peppy number, making hand movements, shaking my shoulders and executing the rest of the dance step in my mind.

Its been ages iv done the crazy dancing endlessly. And when in a party or a wedding im bursting like a cracker. I was titled 'Ms Duracell' in college for the non stop, non sense dance steps and the dancing. I dont know where the stamina comes from, but i go on and on.

Maybe the stamina comes from the rigourous training i undertook for years to learn bharatnatya. That dance is all about discipline, expressions and stamina. Then i grew up and the dance classes were put on the back-burner coz the the era of padhai-likhai-boards-entrances-college-placements-jobs-higher studies had arrived and lasted very long.

And now, when im settled and have time to pick up dancing again from where i left, there arent many ways. Birju Maharaj's Kathak Academy doesnt admit people older than 22. Ashley Lobo Jazz classes happen 40 kms from my house. Sonal Mansingh's dancing school charges a bomb for mere 2 classes a month. Arrghhh! Still looking for a dance school that suits my requirements. But no worries,till then the usual seat dance, towel-belan dancing shall continue.

In the words of ABBA - You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment